Friday, May 21, 2010

I Believe in Miracles

After a very difficult week, and a morning that was spilled deeper into chaos with each moment I was on the very cusp of bursting into tears. Fierce blinking and deep breaths helped keep them in check, but I wasn't sure I could make it to the end of the day.

We had a community bike event that many, but not all students were involved in this morning starting at 10. Those students who were participating did not actually bring the learning parts of their brains with them this morning. The three students left behind with me were sad, but consoled with some quiet free time. The bike event had a clear start, but no real end. Students wandered in and out for half an hour before lunch. It was foolish to even attempt to get any work done (I know because I tried- foolishly I thought we would get some learning done today).

When lunch arrived, our food did not. Our hot dog order had been missed, they were short on chips and hot dogs and my grumpy class didn't cope very well. The teacher in charge of hot dogs today came to the classroom with apologies and tried to sort out getting some food into everyone. She was met with demands for money returned and less than gracious attitudes.

While the hot dog fiasco was being sorted out I had to dash to the daycare to pick up the little Sprout because the daycare closed early today, as it is being painted this weekend and they needed to get things set up. So I rushed out to get him and hurried him back to the school to see what had happened in the classroom in my absence.

When I got back, the classroom was empty and I have no idea if everyone go fed. But I knew they would probably still be cranky when they came in from recess. More tears welling and lots of blinking later, I was completely unable to come up with a 'educational' plan for the afternoon that I had any confidence would not end in disaster.

Then, a small miracle. Fearless Leader walked into my room at 12:50 and said, "One," with a great big grin on his face. Early dismissal!

If there was ever a day when I needed it, it was today.

1 comment:

Anon said...

It sounds like it was a trying day for everyone! Its so hard to be optimistic when there is no one having a good day in the group.

I'm glad you got early dismissal.

I'm sure that in the end something was learned - its just not visible right now....

Blessings, VS