We have a new rule at school for teachers; daybooks must be filled in and on our desks before we leave at the end of the day. I used to do this all the time. This year I have been leaving right at 4:00 because of the little people, well one little person- Jo causes chaos if we bring him into the classroom after school. To prevent that we simply pick him up from daycare and go straight home.
LK and I have been doing most of our marking and planning at home in the evenings after the little people are in bed. That way we have time to plan thoughtfully, bounce ideas off each other, and make sure that what we plan for tomorrow reflects what we see in what our students did today. It has been working well for us, until last week.
It seems that we have a few colleagues who don't plan. When they call in sick there is absolutely nothing on their desks to indicate to a sub what should be done. Not even a daily schedule. To make sure that everyone does their job, this new rule has been imposed. I have been struggling with it.
This week my students have been pushing every button they can find, so we have a lot of recess detentions to finish work or pay a detention. I have been with students almost all day. Yesterday I had enough after a particularly long and frustrating day. I had one 30 minute break in an 8 hour day where I needed to mark, plan and eat. I don't like those days.
I was teary by 3:30 and frustrated enough that I wanted to storm Fearless Leader's office and dump my frustration all over his desk. Thankfully we had a staff meeting and I couldn't. I slept on it and had a much better day today.
I also had a realization when I got home from a substantially improved day today; I worked really hard all day, and got all my planning and marking done before I left the school. I have no homework tonight! I cannot remember that last time that was true.
So, instead of rushing around when we got home to get dishes done, dinner started and everything started for tomorrow we went outside and shovelled snow and played for an hour. It was balm to my soul. I got to shovel snow that felt like feathers on my shovel and watch my kids play with complete freedom and abandon.
So, even though I hate this new rule. I am going to keep my mouth shut and take the lesson in it. Be more efficient, make less detailed plans and just get it done. Then I can have a life and really enjoy my family.
I may even get to watch an episode of Bones with my sweetie before bed.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think I'm going to TRY to make brownies tonight. I may bring you a parcel.
:)
Jodi
Yikes - if I had to have such detailed ON my desk each night before I left, I'd be in BIG trouble. I plan a week out, but plans change - we all know that. I usually email a colleague if I'm out with more detailed plans for a sub and that seems to be ok.
Post a Comment