Sunday, February 14, 2010

Losing It

There are days where I really wonder why I bothered to get out of bed. Or perhaps I am just losing it. Friday was one of those days.

It was a PD Day of working in classrooms until noon. That was great. Unfortunately there was no daycare, so Jo was at school with us. As a result our time was not very productive.

We raced home, had a quick lunch then dashed off to town for errands. The library closes at 5 pm on Fridays, so we have a deadline to get the errands done. I was driving and talking (which some of you know can be a bad combination when I have something on my mind). The road was pretty icy, so I was driving carefully, but not carefully enough. I took a corner too fast and we didn;t quite make it around the corner.

Thankfully there was a nice big snowbank to keep us from sliping over the edge and we were able to push the car out ourselves. Somewhat chastened, I asked LK to drive the rest of the way and tried very hard not to break the door handle in my anxiety about icy road conditions.

As we pulled into town LK turned to me and said, "Have your knuckles turned white yet?" and nodded at my hand holding the door handle in a death grip. I just smiled and pretended that I was not completely freaked out.

I was really disappointed as I just got over my fears of the roads from my trip into the ditch last winter. It's may take me the rest of the winter to be comfortable behind the wheel again. Now Fiona will never get in the car with me driving again!

So we accomplished the groceries without further troubles. We pulled up in front of the library, our very favourite place in town and the high point of all trips to Kenora, and LK again turned to me, "Do you have change for the meter?"

"Yup," I assured him confidently. And forgot about it completely (as I am wont to do on ever so rare occasions).

Into the library we went. We had a great time choosing new books and videos for the week. The kids had play time and some computer time.

Books chosen, signed out and packed up we headed out of the library excited about dinner and listening to grumbling tummies. On the front dash was a parking ticket. Hmmm, someone forgot to put the money in the meter. I wonder who?

We pulled up a half a block further pay the ticket and found that we had missed the town hall by 5 minutes. They close at 4:30 and the slot to pay tickets said in big blocks letters, NO CASH PLEASE. Frustrated, I turned around and stuck the ticket in my purse to mail.

By now my DH was getting a bit testy about my ever-so-slightly flighty behaviour. I think he may have been wondering what was possessing his usually very competent wife. So, we headed of to McD's for some fast food comfort and play time for the kids before climbing into the car for the trip home.

After dinner, being the loving and helpful wife that I am, I offered to go out and start the car. Trying to be careful I started it and intentionally locked it with my keys in it because the lot was busy and I didn't want our day to end with a stolen car (we really didn't need that on top of the other issues).

We all walked back out to the car and I said, "You'll need to unlock it." LK looked at me with an expression that does not really have words. If it did, they wouldn't be very polite. He pulled out his electronic car opener do-dongle and pressed the button to open the door. It didn't work. The next look he gave me did have words, and they are definitely not polite.

Apparently car manufacturers in their eagerness to protect us again possible car-jacking make it so that you can lock the car from inside and the automatic door opener do-dongle won't work from the outside. Good to know. Wish I had known it before locking my keys inside with the engine running.

So, LK took the kids back inside. This is where I should have been able to whip out my cell and call CAA. But I forgot to charge the cell and left it sitting on my desk at home. Plus it doesn't have any minutes on it right now. Great emergency tool, that! I don't have CAA either.

I approached a kindly looking couple finishing off their dinner and asked, "If you had locked your keys inside your car in the parking lot, who would you call in Kenora?"

They suggested Canadian Tire and offered to drive me over to see. Evidence that Canadians are wonderful people. Thinking that there was a car dealership right across the road, I politely declined and sent them on their way. They left looking somewhat doubtful that I had a clue what I was doing.

As I trotted across the street I heard, "Hi E."

It was Mark, a classmate of Fiona's. He and his parents were just coming out of KFC.

"Vicki," I shouted with relief.

Last year it was Vicki and her partner, Randy, who rescued Fiona and I from the ditch. I was so happy to see them. Angels of mercy, they called the tow truck after trying to open it themselves. Then I sent them on their way and went inside to wait for the tow truck.

Half an hour and $60 later the car was open. As the truck driver put his tools away an older gentleman approached me and asked, "Did you get it open?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Would you like one of these? I keep them in my car for people who need them?" and he held out one of those magnetic key holders that you stick under your car for just such emergencies. I smiled and thanked him, feeling absolutely thankful for the kindness of each person I had run into, but incredibly foolish.

Loaded into the car we finally headed home.

Ten minutes later I realized what you may have been thinking for 5 minutes now. But, I kept my mouth shut. If I blurted it out I was sure that LK would blow a gasket. There is just so much a man can handle in one day.

Ten minutes later LK pulled over. Worrying what could be wrong now I looked at him. He turned to me and said, "So, I guess I could have just used my key."

Yup, we were so mired in the problem that we were completely blind to the solution sitting right there on his key ring beside the automatic do-dongle.

There was nothing to do but laugh.

3 comments:

Donna said...

great post, em! i can just see yours and laurens' faces. glad you are all safe.

HD said...

LOVED hearing of your adventure Em.

I have locked my keys in my car many times more than a few so I started to keep spare keys in every nook and cranny I could think of to avoid just this type of situation. Unfortunately with my new, well... 11 year old 'new to me' car it only came with 2 keys... one of which I promptly lost shortly after buying it and the other of which I have tried to get copied twice, both times of which they got stuck in the ignition and I had to have them removed by a mechanic... needless to say if I were to fall into this type of situation I wouldn't even have a back up under the car in a magnetic case... this is where $79 a year comes in to put my mind at ease. For most of my life I felt that road side assistance was a waste of money. But one tow, winch, or unlocking of a car and it has paid for it's self. I have gotten more than my value out of it since I got it 3 years ago... and not because my 17 year old car wouldn't start.... cause it always did every time I turned the key even until the day she was laid to rest. (Can't beat a good old Civic). It just tended to like to hang out in snowbanks and needed the encouragement of a tow truck to leave it's most favorite of spots. No fault of my driving though of course.

EK said...

HD, of course not a reflection of your driving.

I had just received an offer of membership in CAA the week before. I activated it as soon as we got home. So now we are covered.