Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ski Sessions

It was a long day. A day where my students left the classroom, sent on their way with a wan smile from me and a promise of a fresh start in the morning. Then I gathered my wits and tried not to cry - because even after 12 years in this job some days make you want to cry.

I have been skiing home with a colleague twice a week since the beginning of January. We get a good workout, some fresh air, and a chance to bounce ideas off each other and vent. Today, although it would have been a day with lots to vent about, I didn't. Instead we talked about our lives outside our job. It was really nice.

I love our ski sessions. I love to ski. I love the openness of being on the lake. I love the light as the golden hour opens. I love having someone to chat or be quiet with. I love the glow of endorphins that linger into my evening meal with my family and help me put aside the frustrations of the day.

I hope the lake stays really solidly frozen until mid-April. Because I need my ski sessions to stay sane on days like today.

1 comment:

HD said...

It is absolutely amazing to hear of your new love for the long skinny things! They can provide such an outlet and a great work out along the way. I am looking forward to the day when we can ski together in both chatter and slience. Missing you lots this morning Em.