Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Reflections

It is inevitable with me that there is lots of reflection on a big event like our summer trip. So this is the first of several posts working through the good, the bad, and the ugly (weather).

It felt like coming home when we drove up to each house we visited this summer. Even though we have never been to some of them before. I think that says a lot about the amazing people that we are blessed to have in our life.

Waterloo felt like home because Dave, Em and the girls were there. My mom warned me right before our visit to Waterloo that I shouldn't be upset if things were different with our friends. I was worried that it might be awkward or we might not have anything to talk about. I didn't need to be. It felt like we had just been gathered for a BBQ in their backyard last week. It was a great reminder that friendships like this are a rare thing in adult life and ought to be treasured for their priceless value. I was also wonderful to watch Fi and Izzy play peacefully for hours (unless "the boy" tried to join in). Poor Jo didn't really find a place to fit with two more girls, but his time was coming. The highlight of our time with the J's for me was Sunday. A huge part of being in the J's life is participating in their huge family circle. The circle is open and warm and means that their house is often full of people; some related by blood, some by faith. Sunday Abby was baptized and the J's house was full of people. It was a taste of the sweet fellowship I know we will enjoy in heaven. Every visit with Dave and Em is a taste of that fellowship.

St. Catharines was home because the Koks are there. The visit with them came just as I was having my first 'too long away from home blues' and Stacy was the best person to work through that with. Her perspective on being far from family and working in a situation that is unfamiliar was grounded solidly in biblical adivce that helped me sort through my culture shock. I remember watching and eavesdropping on the conversations my mom had with her sisters-in-faith during my late elementary years and early high school and longing for that sense of openness and honesty with other people. With Stacy I have that. I can count on her for good advice and a kind, patient ear when I hurt. She also inspires me to be a better mother. I am constantly amazed at her patience with 4 kids under 6 (and she is crazy enough to have even considered a fifth). Our kids had a fabulous time playing together, and this time there were three other boys for Jo to play with. We all cried when it was time to leave, but knew that this is another place that is home because of the special people there.

Our last friends visit was with the Miles who were camping at Arrowhead. Again, no matter where I meet them the people who came into my life while I lived in TO are amazing. I am amazed that I could have so many families of people come into my life in one place and stay in my heart. Janelle and Jacob also joined us for a day at Arrowhead. Gathered around the firepit with Donna and Janelle felt like sitting around in the WCS staffroom gabbing together. The three of us were pregnant together and all had our sons (the little J's) within 2 months. Donna was supposed to have Joel after me, but she has a hot oven and pops them out early every time. Joel was due two weeks after Jo, but born a week before. These girls are my humour-heart. We gripe about our frustrations, laugh at one another's idiocies and celebrate the joy of our lives. Plus, as an added bonus Janelle really appreciates a good pair of heels.

There were so many moments where I had to stop and take a mental picture of the setting and the emotions I was feeling during these visits.

Watching my kids play with others they hadn't seen for a year of ever was wonderful. I saw how much my children have grown and changed in the last year. I saw how much the connections they had with friends has not changed. Fiona 'mothering' Izzy and setting boundaries for how Jo may and may not playing with them. Jo wading into every play situation with gusto and making friends everywhere we went.

Curled up chatting with my girls or wrestling with life decisions over chopping vegetables, or gathered around a backyard bbq brought moments of deep contentment. Those were the moments where everything stood still and I savoured the feeling of richness. I thank God for the people he has given to me as friends.

Watching my husband with other people and seeing him draw a shy child out, get down and play with the kids, step back and let others have the spotlight... all moments where I was awestruck by how much grace was poured out the day I was given this husband. I so do not deserve this man. But man, I love him.

So, although we have little material wealth we are rich beyonds measure.

No comments: