Monday, May 11, 2009

Guest Post by LK - Black Bear


Black bear, black bear, what do you see?
I see a photographer looking at me...(apologies to Eric Carle)

EK posted a few days ago on Facebook that we saw a bear down in the yard, but by the time I got outside with the camera, it had moved off. I, of course, debated going after it (went through a list in my head of who would miss me: EK, FK, maybe JK, my folks and in-laws; hmm, kind of short), decided to not chase it.

Well, as luck would have it, today as I was reading on the front porch during JK's nap, a lumbering black bear came out between the two houses and approached the closest food source (the garbage bin in front of AG's and PB's house). My first thought was "Glad JK is napping or else he would have gone over to pet the bear" and my second thought was "Great, now I have more yardwork to do". I grabbed my camera (always by my side) and grabbed a few captures. The bear pushed open the bin, took out some garbage and left with it. I thought that was it, so went back to reading. The next thing I know, the bear had circled the house and came back for more. This time it ripped apart the the top of the bin (!), climbed inside and came out with lots of garbage. I took a few more pics and this time, crazily enough, followed the bear (although with an eye on our open front door). Took a few more pics before the bear came too close for comfort, then went inside to watch from there.

Photographer's side note: It was the worst time of day to take pics as the sun was directly overhead. My "blinkies", or highlights, for those non-photographers were going crazy even when I under-exposed. So the pics look washed out. Sigh. It wasn't like I could ask the bear to come back at golden hour and pose...

Not everyday you have a bear in your front yard. Needless to say, JK is awake now, banging on the front door (from the inside) wanting to go out...not going to happen today, little man. Going to have to check the bin carefully from now on before putting any garbage in it. Oh, and AG and PB - check your surroundings before getting out of your vehicles!

LK


Update: So, as I was uploading this blog post and pics to flickr, our internet died. ARRGH! I could do without technology...well, not really. Anyway, today I'm sitting at the Kenora library trying to upload the rest of the pics on flickr with JK in my lap going crazy and boneless (like the little girl in "Knufflebunny"). The pics are in the slideshow and if you click on the pics it will take you to the flickr site (I hope). Enjoy! LK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

E and L:

I will pray for both of you as you decide your future.

There is one thing I want to say about the ulcer. Way back when I worked in my other job we learned about a bacteria that lives in the stomach and causes ulcers. I think its called H Pylori or something like that. This was a huge breakthrough at getting to the treatment of the ulcer. At no time have I heard this referred to as a result of third world living. It may be that your is, but rest assured our TO life hasn't protected us from this possibility. Not a great beam of light but just a perpsective that yes the health concerns may be different but then again maybe not!

The black bear is scary but awesome. I lived on Vancouver Island as a young child and still have a healthy respect for those cuddly teddy bears!

Love VS

Send me your email address, I'm on the road and want to talk and see how you are doing in private!

EK said...

Thanks for the info VS. It seems that several other people on staff have ulcers and have shared their coping strategies for symptoms. Several have had them for many years, but I am hopeful that since we have caught it early it will heal.