Saturday, May 30, 2009

14

I got a phone call from a woman who has been a Prayer Warrior for LK and I over the past several years. She calls every now and then out-of-the-blue to touch base and see how we are doing. Her calls are anticipated joyfully as she always has wisdom to share and a very kind ear that listens to our struggles. She is very much an adopted mother to LK and I and an adopted Oma to our children.

This morning she was wondering how we are doing and what the plan is for next year. We chatted for a bit about the plan to stay here and our hopes for the future. She promised to pray for us as we prepare for another year in Grassy, and as we also prepare for where God will lead us next. I covet her prayers like no other's as her prayers have been very instrumental in finding direction for us in the last three years.

That conversation made me reflect on the people who have become a part of our lives that have made a lasting impact. I am so thankful for the treasure of friendship that withstands distance and personal growth issues. People who can be themselves in all their imperfection, and can stand to be with me in mine without being scared off at the broken humanity we all show in real relationships. I long with all my soul to enjoy the sweetness of fellowship in person; curling up with a cup of tea and sharing burdens, laughing at our children's antics, walking together and enjoying summertime.

I particularly miss the women who have been my sisters in faith. They have spent hours on the phone with me this year helping me work through the struggles of a huge change in my life. Now I look forward to being with them in person and the extra layer of richness that brings to fellowship. Memories of long talks in the car after a night of scrapping; scrap nights with little actual scrapping done, but hearts poured out and struggles heard and wrestled with; time at the park with kids playing together, and parents pushing swings while sharing their own thoughts; meals around a table filled with good food, cooked with love and a passion for flavour and texture with conversation vibrant and warm- these are all bits of life down south that I look forward to tasting again.

No comments: