Way back when a wise man said, "Without hope or vision, the people perish." It was about 4 000 years ago, or so. Somebody wrote it down, and so his words still live today. (His name may or may not have been Jeremiah).
I agree with him. I know that I thrive on the hope and vision of a future that is better. A hope that my children will find their niche and be able to work in a job that is also their passion. A vision of all children being able to counting on being fed every day and knowing for sure that they will have the chance for a great opportunity to learn in a safe place. A hope that I can be a part of making education in Canada better for students, teachers, and families.
When I get into a rut, sometimes too deep to see the vision anymore, I start to navel-gaze and focus on the small stuff. And I sweat it, majorly. (I recognize that it is an area for personal growth). I need someone who loves me to give me a shake and tell me that I need to get over myself.
Today and yesterday were a wonderful encouragement to get my gaze off my navel and look up. Because the whole picture of the possibilities for the future just changed. And I get to be a part of it!
To say that I am excited about the potential is a massive understatement. I am over-the-moon thrilled that something I hoped for is actually a real possibility. I feel like I just won the lottery.
Now I pray that my gaze will stay up towards the future because I see First Nations students closing the learning gap in northern Ontario! And that is a big, hairy, audacious goal.
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hm. I'm curious. Is there any one thing in particular, or just a change in attitude?
There is a new program started with 6 First Nations schools involved (we are getting on board in the new fiscal year). There is PD happening (with experts from all over North America coming to teach us). There are funds for books (to read, not text books). There are SMARTboards!
And, the icing on the cake, is that there are a literacy specialist and a numeracy specialist going to be serving the six schools to work with teachers in our classrooms to help us teach better.
These are the resources that public boards have had for years, and we are finally getting some support.
Oh, the possibilities!
Post a Comment