Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not Enough Emilys

I just fell in love with my husband all over again.

Yesterday I drove to the city to do our post-Christmas errands. We try very hard not to have a great big list of returns and exchanges to do after Christmas, because who wants to spend their holidays in line-ups? Not me. (In the dressing room trying on great deals is a whole other matter). Despite our best efforts, this year there were a few items that had to be dealt with before January 14. So another trip to the city had to be made.

We decided that the most efficient plan was a one-day trip with only me. That meant careful planning of stops to make sure that everything on the list could be done and still leave enough time and stamina for the drive home (3.5 hours each way in the winter).

In the list of things to do was replacing a few components of our sound system that have recently gone on the fritz. Excellent timing as all electronics are on sale this week. LK was thoughtful enough to print out the pages for each item that he needed from Future Shop's website and give me the papers to make sure that everything was very straightforward.

I went to the store and handed the papers to the salesman and badda-boom there was my pile of odds and bobs of tech stuff. Except that didn't have one item in stock. So off I went, with directions scribbled on the back of my last paper to wander across the city to the one Future Shop that did have the item in stock.

Now I know that not many people love to wander across a city in search of a store. But I am not your average bear people. I love it! Especially if my wandering takes me to a new thrift store or Winners. And it did.

The salesmen at both Future Shops were wonderful; cheerful, helpful, and went beyond their duties in carrying boxes and giving directions. I was thoroughly impressed.

So, that part of the mission was successfully completed. Other items on the lists were successfully exchanged and picked up. I had time to dive into one thrift store for over an hour and a Winners for another hour.

Armed with a list that had everything checked off, I headed home. It is a really long drive. It feels longer after a long day of errands. And even longer with the last stretch driven in the pitch dark with snow on the road. But I made it home.

My darling husband stayed up to get the new tech stuff set-up and I came down this morning to everything put together and tidied up. He also scrubbed the bathroom while I was gone.

But the icing on the cake for falling head over heels again was a book left on the table this morning (he left early to do the grocery run into town). It was a copy of the book of poems that I was reading last week by Jean Little. He had marked a poem called "Not Enough Emilys". It made me stop and smile and know that he loves me.

The poem starts like this;

"There are not enough Emilys in the world.
What I mean is... Emily is the kind of person
everybody needs to needs to have sometimes."

And guess what, this sweet, bathroom-scrubbing, poem-marking, patient man (who sat and smiled as I shared each clothing find with him - even though he really just wanted to play with his tech stuff) is mine.

How blessed am I?

No comments: