Thursday, December 16, 2010

Today

a poem by Jean Little

Today I will not live up to my potential.
Today I will not relate well to my peer group.
Today I will not contribute in class.
I will not volunteer one thing.
Today I will not strive to do better.
Today I will not achieve or adjust or grow enriched or get involved.
I will not put up my hand even if the teacher is wrong and I can prove it.

Today I might eat the eraser off my pencil.
I'll look at clouds.
I'll be late.
I don't think I'll wash.

I need a rest.

This poem expresses how I feel sometimes, even though I am the teacher and not the student. I know that my students feel this way sometimes. In fact, at this time of year, they feel this way a lot.

We all need a rest.

No comments: