We were sitting around the table, halfway through our dinner, when there was a knock at the door. Since LK and I were wedged in the back side of the table, Fi, who was closest to the door, got up to answer.
I was expecting a neighbour who needed to borrow some eggs. Or the most gracious neighbour who often comes bearing a fresh dozen from his wife's chickens (the yummiest ever).
The person at the door asked Fi, "Is your mom or dad here?"
She came away from the door, "I don't know who it is," with big, round eyes.
So I went to the door and saw that is was the gracious neighbour, but he wasn't bearing eggs this time. He was bearing a turkey, a ham, and all the trimmings for a family Christmas dinner. My jaw dropped.
Apparently he was doing Christmas hampers for families in the community. Since we have a family here, he thought we should be included. And he reminded us that there are always eggs to share whenever we want some.
I feel as if I was just given a great big hug. It is a pretty awesome feeling.
It makes me want to be a better teacher.
Amazing what a little kindness can do.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment