Friday, December 3, 2010

Part II

and for the second...

I got a call from the daycare this morning right after recess. My class was lining up to head off to Native Language and I was about to start my prep, so the timing was great. However, when I went to the office, expecting Sensational Secretary to tell me that JK fell and got bumped on the head, she told me to go right over, there was an emergency.

With visions of blood and vomit running through my head, I jogged across the parking lot (as fast as my ridiculously impractical heeled boots would allow). JK was sitting on the couch in the foyer of the daycare with a teacher and another daycare worker. He was clearly stunned.

The teacher explained that he had been sitting in his chair, vacantly lolled. He didn't touch his lunch. That was huge. This boy lives for food! And he was clearly (to my mother's eyes) not himself. So, I tried to keep the massive panic that bloomed in my heart invisible, and asked exactly what they saw.

He was unresponsive to his name or touch on his cheek for several minutes. Then when the teacher picked him up he was stiff, but put his arms around her.

I racked my brain for times when I have seen or heard this behaviour and remembered a second grade students from my third year of teaching who had seizures where he just seemed to leave mentally for a bit every once in a while. He was a great kid with lots of energy and enthusiasm. I had forgotten all about his seizures, as they were quiet and rare at school. But it all came flooding back this morning.

So, with images of epilepsy and Asperger's Syndrome and frantic mental file-hunting going on in my head I asked if I should take him to the Clinic. For those who are not familiar with our situation, the nearest hospital is 80km away on a roller coaster road that is not a fun coaster in the winter. We are served by a Clinic with two nurse-practitioners on staff Monday to Friday. But they leave early on Friday to get into the office in town and finish their weekly paperwork. So, to see the nurse, we would have to hustle.

My love for our daycare provider grew again today as they quickly called the Clinic to let them know that we were on our way and helped me get JK bundled up and out the door.

I stumbled into the school office. I think that my actual words were, "I don't care what they do (my class), but I have to take JK to the Clinic. I will be back as soon as I can."

My love for my admin team grew as they just sent my off. "Don't worry. They will be fine (the class). Go." Then someone from the school made sure LK was up-dated and drove him over to the Clinic so he could be with us.

Our Fabulous Nurse-Practitioner carefully looked JK over from head to toe and assured us that he was okay. But, since it may well have been a seizure we should take him into town to get him checked thoroughly.

So, back to school. Tell the sub what to do (not sure if it made any sense to her at all - but I really didn't care what she did). Get Fi and pack her up. The whole time she kept asking, "What is a seizure?"

Home, quick grab cooler and grocery list - because they have to be done today or we have nothing to eat by Sunday - and eat lunches in the car as we drive. JK conked out for the drive. I think this scared LK and I, as we weren't sure whether that was good or bad. Fab N-P had assured us that the chances of two seizures in one day are very low. We drove him because she had already sent two patients out on the ambulance this morning, so there was no ambulance. That was okay, as we could get him there faster than waiting for the ambulance (three hours!).

After three hours in the hospital, JK is fine. We don't know for sure what it was. By the time he saw the doctor, he was back to himself mostly. That is good.

Now we watch him to see if there are any repeats. We are praying that this was a one-off. According to my research (you knew I would google it as soon as I got home), that can happen. And would you believe that many children experience seizures before age 14? Interesting.

Anyway the point is, after a long day, we learned that we have a great community here. We have some really kind nurses here and in town. Our kids are precious beyond anything. And my job, although really important to me, comes in a distant second to my family.

Thanks be to God for health and strength, community and medical care.

No comments: