Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wilty Sprout

Yesterday Fi's teacher was out sick. Twenty minutes into the day her substitute teacher brought her into my classroom with tears streaming down her cheeks (Fi, not the teacher) and snot stream out of her nose. She had a headache. Part of her problem is that she is never thirsty. We have to insist that she drinks, and it still isn't enough to keep her well hydrated. So, now she has headaches. And, she is battling a cold. Poor thing!

Yesterday she spent the day in my classroom curled up in a chair until she couldn't resist the lure of learning anymore and she quietly participated in some of the activities with my students. What a treat to see her pulled by her curiosity into the circle of students sitting at the carpet and slipping her hand up in the air as if she were always a part of the class.

In the past I have been pretty insistent that I didn't want to teach my own Sprouts. I just couldn't see how I could treat my own Sprout like their were only a student. And, how could I possibly be fair to the rest of the class when my own flesh-and-blood-Sprout was part of them? After working in the same school as my Sprout attends for the past four years, I think it will be okay.

Yesterday sealed the deal for me. Yes, I will have a different relationship with her than with the other students in the class. Yes, one student will call me "Mama" instead of "Mrs. K.". But what a unique treat to be able to spend a year with my own Sprout and get to know her learning journey as intimately as I get to know that of all my other student-Sprouts.

So, I am looking forward to next year (Lord willing) when I get to teach my Love-of-Learning Sprout. What an adventure we will have together!

No comments: