I used to mope when I had to stay home from school because I was sick or there was someone who needed me at home to take care of them. I felt guilty about not being at school - like I was so essential to my students and school that they couldn't get along for a day without me. (I know, a bit egocentric.)
There were times when that guilt was not entirely self-induced, I have a distinct memory of an administrator in my past telling the staff that the school could not afford substitute teachers that year and that we were not to call in sick. I am not sure what she expected us to do... but there were a lot of walking wounded that year.
I also remember calling in sick while pregnant with the smallest Sprout on the last day before the Christmas vacation. I had spent the night with my head in the John and was unable to keep anything down (not morning sickness, I think it was someting I ate). My administrator responded with, "Oh, Emily. It's the last day before the holiday." I didn't know whether to cry or punch something. I cried.
But over the past year, with daycare closures and both parents working and all the craziness that is life with two jobs and two kids (and no grandparents nearby to rescue us), my attitude has changed. I don't feel guilty anymore.
Being home with a sick Sprout is a chance to breathe myself. It is a chance to snuggle up with a Sprout who needs some TLC that often gets squeezed into a few minutes before bedtime. It is a chance to wash dishes and dust. It is a chance to get a little bit ahead on the Mount Everest of paperwork that is part of teaching. Those last two are done while said Sprout is conked out in bed of course.
Today I got to have a day with both Sprouts. Only Fi was sick. But since I had to be home anyway, we thought it would be nice for Jo to have a day home too. And it was.
And I bet my student had a nice break from me as well.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment