When you live with something you get accustomed to it. We have become accustomed to an 80km drive to the grocery store on roads that feel like a roller coaster, living without satellite or cable, and buying ice cream only when its on sale drastically lower than the regular $8 a carton price.
I forget that some of these things are quite normal for most Canadians (buying things on sale particularly), even southerners. But others not-so-much.
Oma arrived for a week visit yesterday. We trekked to Winnipeg in the morning. On the not-yet-plowed roads it took 4 1/2 hours to go to the airport. We were there on time to welcome her, though, so it was totally worth it. Plus I found the perfect purse in Winners on the way!
We left Winnipeg at 3:30, so most of the drive was in the dark. The sunset behind us was gorgeous, though. Oma was as agog as I was that first time driving through the northern landscape.
When we turned onto the home road (which is the 70km roller coaster) I warned her that this was the rough part of the ride. When we got about 1/3 of the way home she started to grip the handle above the door. The road is intimidating in the light, but downright scary in the dark. Especially your first time travelling it. And honestly, I was driving really slow to avoid any slipping and sliding on the road.
So Oma has arrived safely, and is learning first-hand what we have become accustomed to after the move from down south. It will be a fun week!
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad to hear that Oma arrived safely. Enjoy your week with her!
Karen
Post a Comment