Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Purpose of Blogging

Reading blogs is a hobby. I am addicted to teacher blogs. I feel like it gives me a peek inside other teachers' heads and helps me to laugh at the situations that come up in my own classroom that make you either laugh or cry.

Some teachers blog to share the joys of their job. They clearly love their job and their students a LOT. One example is Look at My Happy Rainbow found at http://halpey1.blogspot.com/. This kindergarten teacher finds delightful gifts in most of his days. He makes me want to be a better teacher. He loves his students and that comes through clearly in his writing.

Some teachers blog to vent the frustrations that are part of the profession. An interesting example is This Brazen Teacher found at http://thisbrazenteacher.wordpress.com/. Those blogs can be a blend of love for students and frustration with politics in a highly politicized profession that isn't about politics at all- its about kids. Some of those teachers are angry at the system, and that is clear. Many of them are struggling with feeling like they are cogs trapped in a system that limits their ability to make a difference for their students by its own structure.

So, why do I blog. I am a teacher. It is a massive part of my identity. I believe 100% that I was created and designed to teach. I love it and cannot think of any job that would be more interesting, exciting, and fun. But, I am frustrated with an imperfect world.

Do I blog just as a teacher? Do I blog as a sister, daughter, niece, friend who lives far away and is trying to keep in touch? Do I blog as a Christian sharing my faith journey with anyone who is interested in walking beside me?

I blog for all of those reasons. Each day a different reason is at the fore of my heart and in the focus of my blog.

One thing that I want to avoid is the angry, vindictive blog. There are times when I am angry. There are times when I am so angry I want to scream at the top of my lungs and lie on the floor and throw a temper tantrum worthy of my two-year old son. Sometimes I am angry because of my two-year old temper tantrum throwing son. Sometimes I am angry because of my own foolish words and actions that came back to bite me in the butt. Sometimes I am angry at the hurt someone else caused me or my loved ones. Sometimes I am angry because this world is a completely broken place without hope for a future of peace or joy EXCEPT for the gift of Christ.

That stops my anger. How can I stay all growly and teary in the face of a child, an only child, given out of complete love, for me. How can I stay angry in the light of God's graciousness. I am shamed into silence at my own foolish arrogance. What right have I to expect justice for my kids, or myself, or my family, or the guy-down-the-road-who-I-don't-even-know when I am incapable of justice myself?

I can only ask for grace, and more grace. Grace for myself in my selfish arrogance. Grace for my family in our exhausted attempts to love one another. Grace for my students in their struggle to learn and grow. Grace for my colleagues who wrestle with demons I have no clue about. Grace for my community who strives to cope in a world that is filled with greed and hurt and pain.

I look forward to Christmas. Not just because of the holiday- although I really need the holiday- but because it bring to life my purpose and hope in being a teacher, a mother, a wife, a friend. Since Jesus gave his life for mine, and walked on this world without sin I need to get up fresh each day and try once again to give mine for the people that I interact with.

That monumental task (that I cannot do on my own and often screw up in), and the adventures that come with it, is why I blog.

3 comments:

Mr. Halpern said...

Wow - thanks. It's nice to read my feelings ring true in my blog. You made my day. :)

Donna said...

Hi Em,
I LOVE your blog, whatever the reasons! I check it every day and can hear your voice as I read it. It keeps me connected to you. I know I'm not so good at staying connected but know that I think about you often!
Much love,
Donna

EK said...

Donna,
I am not great at staying in touch either right now. It's a season of crazy business in our lives that will pass- perhaps when our kids leave home. We'll do better at staying in touch then. Until then our best will have to do. Miss you and love to you. -EM