Yesterday we had a workshop on changes to the pension plan at work, and of course it got both of us thinking about the future. Are we looking forward to our retirement? It seems like a lifetime in the future. I have trouble envisioning my life that far away, although I know very well how important it is to be preparing for it now.
There are things that I have no trouble envisioning and looking forward to right now.
I am excited about this school year. I have a small group of students, which means being able to get to know each of them very well. I have the same grade for the third year in a row, which means I have gotten comfortable with the curriculum and can start having some fun with it. And, I am starting my third year here in Grassy, which means that I have started to feel more comfortable with the community and my colleagues. All lay a foundation for a potentially fabulous year, which I am really looking forward to.
My kids have jumped into new stages in their growth. Fi took a leap in confidence and independence this summer. She now swims right out into the water (with water wings) never looking back. Last night she rode her bike without me holding on to the back for the first time. She sat so tall in her seat, just radiating pride at her accomplishment. I am looking forward to seeing what steps in confidence she takes this year in third grade.
Jo has finished the potty training journey, except for nights. We are enjoying his very responsible attention to the messages from his body, as well as the accompanying announcements, at full volume, in all places - public or private. He is very serious about where we do and do not pee; not in his very special fire fighter underwear or on George Curious (more special underwear), who would not like us to pee on him. We do pee in the potty, or off the peeing rock if we are playing outside. I am looking forward to the huge changes in him as he has his last pre-school year.
I look at my kids and wonder at how quickly they are growing up. It seems just yesterday we were bringing Fi home from the hospital (with LK driving 20km/h to protect his precious cargo). It also seems a lifetime away; I can barely remember what life was like before kids. Yet, before I know it they will be building homes of their own and I will be facing retirement.
But not today. Today I look forward to the joys of the next, and pray the I will continue to see the blessings of each day as I live them.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment