Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day

It was the First Day today. It started out with a few kinks; a late start from home, Fearless Leader is away sick, and our Opening Assembly was cancelled.

So, with a few minutes less organizational time this morning to plan an hour more instructional time I dove in.

And is was wonderful! Wonderful!! It may have been my best First Day in six years.

All the reasons I love to teach came back to me today; the connection with kids, getting to participate in their growth, teachable moments, AHA moments, making connections with students and students making connections with learning, and the arts.

We painted with fabric paint on the first day. And I didn't have to take paint away from anyone. I didn't even have to warn anyone that I might take fabric paint away. Later on they worked independently for 20 minutes, then asked for more time to draw and write. To write! How amazing is that?

I finished the day with the same grin I started the day. But at the end of the day, it was not just an I'm excited and nervous and glad to see my students grin. I was HOLY COW I LOVE MY JOB AND AM ALREADY FALLING IN LOVE WITH MY CLASS grin.

Life is very, very good.

No comments: