Friday, September 18, 2009

Running Home

It has been a crazy, hairy, insane week. However, today was the first day that I had no students either take off without permission or throw a tantrum in the classroom. What a great day! I actually stopped one of my students as she was on her way out of the room and told her that I was very proud of the really mature choices she had made today. I pray that this is the beginning of a trend. Because, truthfully, I am not sure how many days of having books and chairs thrown around the room and wondering where little JJ has run off to now I can survive. Where is any learning happening in that?

It was also payday Friday, which means school closes at noon and everyone in Grassy disappears to spend the loot. I stayed at school for a few hours to get Monday planned and completely reorganize my schedule, courtesy of a prep time schedule change. Then I realized that this also affects the entire elementary wing and the whole Resource staff. Grrrr! There are days when it may be wiser to just quit while you are ahead, or at least only slightly behind.

Anyway, I ran home after all the frustration. It has been over a week since my last run, courtesy of the crazy, insane week, and my deep desire for sleep. It felt SO good. The sun was shining, I had a little shadow follow my all the way- who didn't even get scared off when the big dogs tried to chase him off their turf, and I realized that even though this week was incredibly hard; we did it!

We are halfway to Thanksgiving. At this time last year I was spending time freaking out on the phone many nights dealing with culture shock and missing family and friends. This year I am spending time trying to teach LK everything he needs to know to survive a year of teaching. The feelings are just as intense, but a lot different.

Plus, I really love the thrill of a challenge.

No comments: