Saturday, September 26, 2009

And up again...

What an incredible day!

We had the Terry Fox Run in the morning. The whole school participates, with each division run/walking a different distance. We spent a good chunk of Thursday learning about who Terry Fox was and what made him a hero. We also watched "Terry" the made-for-tv movie that came out a few years ago. My students were great. They showed evidence of thinking about the text, making connections, and asking questions- all in one activity. WooHoo! Plus they really expressed admiration for the courage that it took to run a marathon a day for over three months- on one leg, no less.

After the movie we decided that if Terry cold run a marathon a day, surely we could walk the whole run. So we did. I ran the first 5k (which is my current limit), and then walk/ran the rest of the way with a cheery grade 7 students who we shall call Junior Brave. He is an outstanding grass dancer and filled with a cheerful desire to connect with people. He was a fabulous running partner.

My students all started out running. Even the ones wearing flip flops! I encouraged them to walk when they got tired and take it at their own pace. One of my kids flew ahead of me and I didn't even see him for the first 2k. He has a LOT of energy. They all made it to the halfway point. Most of them made the whole trip. Even Flip Flop Girl. What great kids.

Then, in the afternoon we had outdoor games where students competed in cross-grade teams to earn points. All my students participated well. And there were so few issues between students, I was bursting with pride at our school and the amazing people who make up our learning community.

I hope to enjoy many more days that end with that feeling this year. I acknowledge that there will probably also be many more days that end with Tuesday's feeling as well. I just need to hang on to the feeling from yesterday to remind me why this is truly the world's best job.

No comments: