Fi is 5 years old today. It was a great day. First, I slept well last night, although not nearly long enough. Second we all had breakfast together this morning. I love family breakfasts, especially when LK cooks. (I really have the best husband in the world). Third, although I was late and didn't walk to school this morning I happened to head out the door just as two colleagues were leaving for school and hitched a ride easily. And when I arrived at school my duty-teammate offered to do the before school duty, which left me with 20 extra minutes to get ready for class this morning. 20 minutes can be remarkably productive if you are motivated.
The school day was a good one, lots of laughter with my students, the stress about curriculum that I have been feeling for a few days evaporated and we enjoyed learning together. As a result it was a productive day, too. However, I was hit with a long-lasting wave of exhaustion at lunchtime. By the time school was over all I could think about was a nap.
Then four little girls invaded my classroom. Fi and three classmates who are becoming close friends and play together really well came to 'visit' while she stayed with me after school. Despite the noise and mess it was delightful. I was so glad to see her laughing (somewhat manically- all pumped up on Halloween candy from the school celebrations last week and very excited about a real birthday party on Saturday) and playing with an abandon that we haven't seen anywhere but at home for months. She is really starting to feel like this is home. Praise God!
Then LK picked us up and I drove home while he ran home. The kids and I walked up the driveway to meet him as the sun set (at 5:15) and turned the treeline along the lake into a stunning silhouette. I revelled in the blessing of my family and a place to live that has constantly changing beauty all around us. I love them so much!
Dinner was Fi's choice (a birthday tradition in our house; birthday person chooses the menu) so we had mac & cheese with chicken strips. LK and I had some veggies & dip in a nod to healthy eating. The highlight was four phone calls in a row with birthday wishes from various loved ones across the province in the 10 minutes before we ate. Fiona was glowing by the time she ate. Thanks to all for the TLC, she felt so special and cared for.
After dinner was bath time, a very happily anticipated event here. Jo runs for the tub when he hears the word bath. After a lot of splashing and a soaked bathroom floor everyone was bundled into pjs and ready for bed. Just before being tucked in Fi had one last call from Auntie Heather, who actually got more than a few mumbled words out of Fi.
Then the blissful moments of peace in the house after children are quietly in bed. I love those moments, even if they are short before the night's work begins.
A good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment