Just before lunch today our school secretary walked up to me and said, "There's a lot of packages in the office for you and Fiona." with a grin on her face. I danced to the office (I love mail days) and found packages from both families as well as beloved friends and my Toronto colleagues stacked on the counter. What a heart-filling moment; bubbling over with being cared for. Thank you all for showering us with love and care packages. (Mental note to self; never forget how special a care package can make you feel).
My class was agog to see what came, and all wanted me to go get Fi right away to open her presents. They have adopted her in a way. I get regular reports from them about how she is doing... "Your little girl was cold at recess" from her grade 1 peers, or "Fiona is standing in the hall." from mine as they return from the washroom after recess. Usually that means she has been watching her classmates get their coats off and go into the classroom and is standing there deciding what she ought to do next (a bit of a dreamer, that one).
They had to wait and the packages went home at the end of the day unopened (except for Oma's which I knew would have chips for LK and chocolate for me- so it was opened and the chocolate stashed at school for "emergencies"). Then Fi opened them after supper. Wonderful gifts, so thoughtful. Thank you again all for making her feel your love from so far away.
Parent-Teacher conferences were tonight as well, so I stayed at school (with a lovingly packed dinner left by LK). I always get worried and anxious about P-T Conf's. I am afraid that I have misread a student or missed something important in their growth or development and a parent is going to be upset with me. It rarely happens, but I worry anyway. Tonight they were wonderful; six of nine parents came out. All of them showed that they loved their kids just like I love mine. Several even asked how we are doing in adjusting! Wow. I felt accepted, blessed, and respected and was very encouraged.
I came home to a quiet house and had my debriefing time with LK. I love our end-of-the-day talk. It anchors me and binds us. Now I am breathing deep joy from the depths of my soul.
I just used a lot of words, but they didn't quite express how grateful I am for what those boxes mean. Thank you especially to D and J at WCS for your package. LK and I are looking forward to those ling winter nights to read and watch movies thanks to you.
P.S. winter has not arrived yet, it is supposed to show tomorrow with a real snowfall. Yesterday was still above 10 degrees!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment