Monday, November 10, 2008

Yup, it's winter.


In Toronto when the stores started playing Christmas music I have always felt like Christmas was ages away. I now realize it had a lot to do with the weather. Now that we have temperatures below zero consistently and snow on the ground it feels like Christmas is on the way. It feels a bit like when I was a kid myself. In fact, this weekend I had to remind myself that it is only November and perhaps a bit early to dig out the music and decorations.

Now that we have settled into the idea of staying here at Christmas (which is necessary due to the crazy costs of gas and airline tickets, plus the purchase this fall of the new-ish vehicle and winter tires- also crazy expensive) I am looking forward to celebrating together. LK and I are trying to think of inexpensive ways to make special memories with the kids. It reminds me of Christmas in BC when I was little.

Speaking of winter tires... when we began the discussion with other, more seasoned staff members about whether winter tires were needed (we only ever used all-seasons in TO) and what price range we should look at, tires seemed somewhat affordable. Then we heard that Quebec had passed a law that all Quebec vehicles must sport winter tires and that a shortage was predicted for this winter. Fast forward a week and we are making an appointment for tires:

  • Earle (mechanic): Well, I can put tires on for you next Wednesday, if we can find the time. I called Winnipeg, there are 16 tires left. I put your name on 4. Do you want them?

  • LK: 16? (thinking to himself In the city?)

  • Earle: In an hour they'll be gone.
  • LK: We'll take them.

  • Earle: They are $ *@% each. Do you still want them?

  • LK: (gulp) ye-es.
Now that does sound like a crooked mechanic, but he isn't. His reputation in Kenora is as the most honest, trustworthy guy in town. He is for real. There are no tires left. Thanks Quebec.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quebec, unlike the Toronto, er.. I mean Ontario govt., is smart enought to protect thier citizens from stupidity and save the provinces taxpayers a bunch of money in hospital. police & long-term care costs.
City dwellers have no excuse. The stopping distance on the 401 @ Yonge is the same as anywhere else on January 30th.
Winter tires save lives. "All-season" are not, never have been, OK for winter.

Now it's law in Quebec.
Good on them.

So slo-wits got stung cause they don't run winters till now.
Tuff.
Ya shoulda already had em.

Don't forget your tow-rope, kitty litter, shovel, emergercy light (with red flasher)& extra gas can.
And some non-perishable snacks for the long waits for help.

Good ideas are matches in water-proof bag, a bit of dry kindling & a small hatchet.
Of course, you already have your multi-tool knife in the car.

Always dress as if you & the kids are going to be without heat for at least 2 hours.

Ya ain't in Kansas now, Dorothy!
:~D

Sincerely,
Yer tuff luv PoP

PS, there is a lovely well under the back deck of your Subie for all this good stuff.