Home again in The City. I took the little people to the water park today and met a friend for a playdate. They had so much fun running through the water and playing in the sand. It was great to watch. I was again reminded of the blessing of friends.
There is much that I love about this city... more variety in language, skin colour, food, music, clothing, than I have ever experienced before. I love to feel like a little part of the big picture. I love that everyone is different and that makes me feel free to be different in my own way.
There are also the shortcomings of a large urban center... traffic, pollution, lack of connection with parts of this world that are God-made (not concrete and glass).
However, it is home. The people who matter the most to me are here. Anywhere they are is home. I know with absolute certainty that at the end of the day I am safe and loved with them. What more could I ask?
Perhaps it is good to have times in one's life where there isn't a plan or a known destination. Perhaps we must learn to be less focused on control of the situation ourselves and more focused on being an active part of the situation to make a difference for the better.
As LK and I contemplate change, I am being opened to the bigger picture, much bigger than I. My petty worries and concerns are so small compared with the challenges and injustices faced by neighbours. Check out this article at http://www.alternet.org:80/environment/89138/?page=entire&ses=aa31255d92919ae56dc5a1581826c9b8. Perhaps I should focus less on my navel and more on my neighbour.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment