There are occasional days, like yesterday, where I wonder why bother with all the hard work and stress. After several months of struggling to see progress with students, constant juggling of work priorities, and feeling like I am constantly dropping the ball at work I was really feeling the why.
Today I had a great big answer.
A student with whom I work had an amazing day. In September this little guy quite seriously told me that he can't read. Wouldn't even pick up a book. So we have been working on literacy in little bits and pieces. Those bits and pieces were so bitty that I lost sight of the big picture.
Today something magical happened. Bits and pieces gelled into reading independently for the first time. Eight books in a row. He was so thrilled with his success that he didn't want to quit. It was so incredible that I had tears in my eyes. He was giggling about what he read and actually having fun! Then he was giggling because I was silly enough to cry about it.
Watching a child who struggles with almost every aspect of school read all by himself is a treasure so far beyond all the millions of dollars that anyone can ever amass. And I got to see it up close and personal today.
That's why.
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! That's wonderful and exciting and so rewarding! What a wonderful motivation to keep going.
Post a Comment