Friday, January 24, 2014

Plans for Hope and a Future

I like to make plans.  It makes me feel safe to know that there is a plan in place; as well as several back-up plans.  I have struggled a LOT with letting go of my plan and trusting in the fact that God has a perfect plan for my life and transformation into his likeness.  The past year I have wrestled with that almost daily.

I have a plan for a 'white picket fence'.  My plan was always a house on a few acres big enough to grow into, old enough for character, and a place to learn the family tradition of DIY reno and maintenance.  It seems God had a better plan.

In fact, he always has a better plan.  He even tells us that in Jeremiah,
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you." 
(Jeremiah 29:11)

In my foolishness I didn't recognize it when he put it right in front of me. I shouldn't have been surprised.  He had a better plan for my husband than I did.  He had a better plan for my career path than I did.  He had a better plan for my children than I did.  He had a far better plan for my salvation than I did.

Now, in his grace far beyond my deserving, he had given us a home of our own.  A home in the country, but not too far out of town.  A home that makes LK commuting and continuing to serve in Grassy feasible.  A home with plenty of room to grow as a family and to welcome others in.  It is a house far different than the one in my plan.  It is also far better for who we are and how we serve God.

And that is very, very good.  So thanks be to God for this answer to the cries of my heart over the past many years.  And may we be a blessing to others in how we live in it and share it.

No comments: