Well, my New Year had a bit of a false start. We all went back to school on Monday morning bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 8AM. By 8:30 I was on the floor with a dislocated shoulder.
So the whole family packed up for a trip to town. The ambulance did a 'land meet' with us halfway there. The first half of the trip was less than fun. Key learning; injured parent, worried spouse, and upset children all in one car driving an hour on snow-covered, twisty roads is a recipe for absolute misery for everyone involved.
I relaxed hugely once I was in the ambulance (first ever for me). Someone else knew what to do and was in charge. It was toasty warm. There were blankets and pillows to support my very cranky shoulder. And the sweet EMT was very gracious to listen and answer endless questions during the rest of the trip.
My poor family spent much of the day wandering about town waiting for me while I waited for my stomach to empty, x-rays to be done, and sedatives to take effect.
Good to know that I am not allergic to sedatives and I have really strong bones (no breaks). My healthy habit of breakfast everyday, not so much fun when it delays treatment for several hours. However, as I very much hope to never repeat that injury I will continue to eat a healthy breakfast every day.
By the time our students were leaving the school at the end of their first day back, we were packed up from the hospital and headed to fill my prescriptions for anti-inflammatories and pain-killers. And then we limped home in much less stress and pain than we drove into town.
Never have we so keenly felt the huge distance between Grassy and Town as on that day. L and I just looked at each other several times thinking how much simpler this would have been if we were closer to town.
After a week of prescribed rest- strictly enforced by my husband and my boss- I am up and about again. Running will wait another week or two. But walking and stretching to faithfully do my physio are something I am taking inordinate pleasure in this weekend.
It also makes for a very happy dog.
Sunday, January 12, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment