Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Less

At the dinner table tonight, Fi asked what everyone's New Year's resolutions were.  Jo plans to build Lego and quinzees every day for the year.  After a laugh we talked about the past year and our hopes for this year.

We had a clutter-free Christmas with very few gifts and minimal decorating/accumulating.  It was very freeing.  We feel like we stepped off a ride and have come to appreciate the stillness of solid ground under our feet.  No stress about finding the right thing that great-aunt Mary doesn't really need, but will fill the space under the tree as social custom demands.   No stress about decorating the house to look as nice as the one on Pinterest, or down the street.

With the freedom of this holiday resonating through the house we unanimously declared this the year of less.  We want to live with less clutter and crap in our lives.  Physical clutter and crap as well as spiritual and emotional.

The physical is obviously the easiest to deal with, so I am starting there.

A little web research and an evening later my closet if 50% lighter.  I have packed up half my clothes and am going to live with the half left in the closet for the next month.  If I don't die (which I highly suspect I won't) the packed up clothes are going to stay in their boxes and travel permanently away.

I feel lighter.  And now I am looking at what else we have been holding onto, but don't really need...

No comments: