Monday, June 20, 2011

School-Lag

Jet lag is not something I am not familiar with. I am not much of an air traveller. We do all of our travelling by car or on foot.

School-lag, on the other hand, I am very familiar with. This is the phenomenon where at the end of a school year undeniable exhaustion hits. Napping at random moments sneaks up on you. It is all too often the result of trying to cram too much work into too little time.

In university I succumbed to it after exams every May. I would arrive home to my parents' home and sleep a week away- catching up on the backlog of sleep of which I had deprived my body throughout the year. I felt it was well worth it, as I could do all the activities that I wanted to during the year and pay the piper on holidays.

Most school years now it is pretty mild. As I have matured in chronological years, I have also done a bit of maturing in time management. I have learned that paying the piper later is often heavy on interest and the level of joy I can take in activities when I am barely awake is limited. However this year blew all that out of the water. Both LK and I are seriously school-lagged.

Our weekend turned into a napfest. The Sprouts played wonderfully together, enjoying the lack of time pressure and two whole days at home (we are stretching the groceries until tomorrow). LK and I traded off napping time. While not an ideal Father's Day weekend, it was what we needed.

I think we are almost caught up and ready to enjoy our holidays. Just a few more days at work to get classrooms ship-shape and the the duckies in a row...

No comments: