Dredging back through a very busy week to last Thursday...
We arrived at daycare to find two other parents dragging small children away from the daycare. Not a good sign. The disgruntled expressions of the parents' faces made me sure that something was amiss.
Walking up I was not at all surprised to find that the daycare was closed. Someone broke in during the night; there was glass on the floors and the police were being waited on. So, back into the car and off to school with all three of us.
Being a wee bit sleep deprived at this point in the week/school year I did not have the wherewithal to come to the obvious solution (have Jo spend the day in JK). Instead I started creating convoluted solutions in my head that were in no way solutions, but actually created more problems. Thankfully the Boss was thinking more clearly and got right to the point.
We dropped Fi off at school and made a mad dash home to make a lunch for Jo and grab his school bag (with extra clothes in case of accidents). As I ran into the house I asked Jo to come in and grab his sweater while I made lunch. He opted to scrape squirrel poop off a neighbour's porch instead. He felt it was a higher priority at that time.
Proud of myself for not making a big deal about it, we rushed back to school in time. Everyone safely ensconced in appropriate classrooms, the day proceeded normally (at least normally for our reality).
Then right before afternoon recess the JK teacher came to find me. She was concerned the Jo had not used the washroom yet. He apparently was claiming that he only uses the washroom at home. Knowing that to be a song and dance from Jo, I followed her back to her classroom.
Jo was happily mucking about. When I asked him if he needed to pee, he said that he didn't. Then he said he needed to go in the big bathroom. So off we went.
After explaining that Mama is a girl and can't go into the boys bathroom with him (for the millionth time), he did his business and all was well. While he was inside I noticed that he had been was followed out of the classroom by a trail of curious JK students. They stood in the hall watching me wait for Jo outside the bathroom door. Nothing like an audience...
But the real news is that Papa got home before supper. We missed him SOOOO much. He got great big hugs. Super sized hugs. And I felt a great big load slip off my shoulders. Even though the Sprouts were wonderful, and I was a responsible grown up for the whole time he was gone there is nothing like knowing that your partner is there beside you, ready to handle life together.
I have no idea how single parents do it on their own. I have enormous respect for them. And I am ENORMOUSLY grateful for having LK in it with me; even if some days we are both just stumbling through the dark. At least we are stumbling together.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment