There are a million permutations of beige. They range from vanilla bean to iced coffee to milk chocolate. Then there are the plethora of chocolate tones; milk to dark (hmm, getting hungry here).
Well, I have been itching to redecorate for three years (since we moved in here). It was not practical to redecorate as the whole house had been repainted the week before we moved in. The colour were okay (sage green and icy blue), but they really are not me; too girly.
So, with a whole summer of holidays at home we have time to repaint. Since we have lived with the colours for three years, LK can cave to my request without being completely irresponsible financially. I keep telling him how cheap paint is (compared to replacing furniture...).
So, I was loosed on the paint samples. It didn't take long to narrow my choices to one colour card. Then I discovered that I can find complementary colours through online colour tools and I was away to the races. Colour chosen, quantity calculated, and list of painting tools carefully made I went into town to make the purchase. We splurged on the primer and paint in one that is all the rage. I totally recommend it. The coverage was great. We only had to do one coat. There are a few spots for touch-ups where Sprouts brushed against the walls or the brush left strokes. But far fewer than the last time I painted (over ten years ago).
We did the whole shebang; fill holes (not with toothpaste as we did last time - college students!), sand bumps, and scrub all the walls and cupboards with TSP. My kitchen has never been cleaner. After all that prep work the painting was easy. And a reminder of how much I like painting. It was a pleasure.
Until, that is, we actually put paint on the walls. Then I was overwhelmed by self-doubt.
"It looks like it is pulling pink to me. Does it look pinkish to you?" was the first clue LK had that I wasn't sure anymore.
After several hours of analyzing the colour in various lights (in daylight it is perfect, the light reflecting off the red deck makes it look pink, and the overhead lights make it darker) my face still read not sure. My poor spouse was a little anxious. I think he was afraid that I would demand to repaint in a whole new colour. I did seriously consider it for a few minutes; the prep work was all done, it just meant another coat. Instead I decided we should live with it for a day, and then decide.
Good call. This morning I came down for breakfast and am in love with it. The kitchen is all cream in a latte with toast colours. I feels peaceful. Now I have plans to purge all the junk we have been collecting since we moved in here three years ago to prepare for painting the living room.
If you know me, you know that I would never be able to stop at just one room. The whole downstairs needs to flow in a peaceful river of yummy latte and chocolate colours. (Oh my, really hungry here).
However, the paint colour is not the problem in the living room. Its the stairs, which are open to the living room and have a 2-story ceiling at the top. How will we cut neatly cut edges all the way up there? And then that carries us upstairs...
I may not be posting for a week. Lots of painting to do...
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh,I know this feeling. We finally nailed particle board along the back of our floating stairs (so that our new crawler would not plunge to his death. Our whole house is a perfectly non-offensive beige. I thought I had it in my memory enough to buy paint for the stairs without a sample from home. Nope. I put up the boards and hated it. So pink. My step-dad tried to reassure me by saying it looked..."salmon". Luckily we are about 5km from a Home Depot (and it wasn't a large area). I repainted it the next day :)
Can't wait to see your new kitchen!
Jodi, glad to know that I am not alone. We are looking forward to seeing you all.
Post a Comment