I have been teasing my parents about moving up here for the past two years. It is a place where they would feel at home in many ways; it reminds me of Muskoka (on steroids) with a lot less people, there are lots of amazing people with ideas and dreams that would be interesting and exciting for my parents to get to know, and they would get lots of quality time with the Sprouts. And, really, they were the ones who started this whole pick-up-and-move-a-million-miles-away trend in our family when they started their own adventure.
However, they have my two sisters and my nephew living close to them where they are now. The closeness that they have with my sisters and nephew is really important to them. And they have their own siblings (my aunts and uncle) nearby as well, and are enjoying the relationships with them. Plus they live on a little lake in a little log cabin that is just about paradise. So, I thought that my teasing fell on deaf ears. But, ever hopeful, I figured it couldn't hurt to put it out there.
Turns out it didn't. And the ears weren't deaf.
About two months ago I got a phone call from them. They were wondering if my dad's experiences and skills would be in any way useful to the school community here. My dad has done a lot of really amazing things in his life; and his skills are jigsaw fit with the needs of the school right now - the school is starting a co-op program to support young people learning employable skills in trades, and my dad has spend 40+ years working in the trades and working with young people in various contexts. Dad wants to pass along the skills that he has learned before he retires. Having two of his grandchildren down the road would by a lovely little perk.
After an initial conversation with the Director, and her request for his resume my teasing wish for Nana and Pop to be close to us seemed like it could actually come true. Of course, it was far from a done deal. Since there were many possibilities that could make it impossible, I tried really hard not to think too much about what an amazing thing it would be. Well, I failed in that. But I did manage to keep it quiet!
So, with a request for the Director to combine a visit with a chance to meet with the school board and discuss possibilities, Nana and Pop planned a visit this past week. It was an intense three days. But really wonderful. We got three whole days of time revelling in their company and advice and love. And the results make me over-the-moon happy.
In August Nana and Pop will be moving in as our neighbours-down-the-road for the school year. Dad will be working at the school as an industrial arts teacher. The vision is to support the newly formed co-op program with some in-school trades training. He is thrilled with the chance to share his love of craftsmanship, plus spend a year with the Sprouts. I am thrilled to get my parents here for a school-year and be able to interact in their lives in a way that I haven't been able to in over fifteen years.
I know that there will be some big challenges over the next year and a bit. I covet prayers for wisdom, patience, courage, stamina, and rich blessings for the whole shebang and everyone involved. And I am boggled at how what we thought would be an adventure for "just a year" is turning into a whole new life with challenges and joys that I never imagined. What an adventure all of life is. And what a treat to be surprised by joy all through it!
Friday, April 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We just never know where God will take us in our lives. Thanks for sharing your journey over the last few years through your blog. It's on my list of favorites. You have a wonderful gift of writing. I enjoy your posts. Wishing tounan amazing year with your patens next door.
Ellie, thank you so much for your encouragement. It is wonderful to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and your family.
Great news, Em! I guess that means you are staying for another year too!
Such awesome news! You will love having your parents close by next year! We are excitted for you guys.
Ray & Karen
Post a Comment