Saturday, April 16, 2011

Coach K

Wednesday, halfway through lunch found me not sitting at my desk slogging through a pile of marking, or swapping ideas with colleagues via the WWW, but out on the dirt road towards the old reserve with 20 students. I was coaching the soccer team.

Some of you are saying, "What!?"

Because all who know me know that sports have never really been my thing. I am more of an arts diva; music, theatre, fashion. I was a complete klutz (according to my ever-so-accurate self concept) in high school and university.

As an adult I have not exactly turned into the sports queen, but I have discovered some activities that I really enjoy, and have the benefit of being good for me. Running is at the top of the list. Three years ago in our first winter here in the north I added cross-country skiing to that list, and last summer, canoeing.

This spring as the spring fever season began (which in our school means science fair, sports, random holidays, traditional holidays, and on and on) and the days of productive learning decrease exponentially each week, the season for soccer coaching has started. I ignored the season, as I assumed that the staff member who usually coaches the 4-6 team would want to do so again and life for me would continue as last year (trying madly to get as much learning into these last few weeks as possible). But I was wrong.

Said staff member is ready for a break, and that left my gr. 5 colleague and I. We decided that sharing the coaching was a good plan. So, as the runner, I volunteered to coach the fitness aspect of the team and lead training runs with the students. She has had an eager parent volunteer to work on skills and drills with the students. Together I think we will have a great time and a great team.

Since I was going to be out there anyway, why not invite the 7-8 team to join us?

And so I find myself wearing running gear to teach in three days a weeks right now. And as many classes sit down to their lunches, I head out the door with a group of 20+ students to run through the community. Lunch for the runners get squeezed in where we can find time.

And you know what... I am really enjoying myself. The kids are wonderful company. I get to listen to them share their thoughts about life, and start to understand them in a way that I never can in the classroom. The weather has been beautiful. The sunshine and fresh air are soul-food. And the result is a huge endorphin rush that lifts my mood in the middle of the day.

I wonder if students would be interested in a running club longer term?

No comments: