Sunday, March 27, 2011

Page Turner

When I read on the Kindle, LK occasionally mentions that my page turning is quite loud. Despite my best efforts to press that little page-turning-button quietly, there is always a click. He has a hard time falling asleep while I am reading in bed. Last night as I was falling asleep, LK was reading beside me. I realized suddenly that I couldn't hear a sound while he was turning pages. I sat up and shared this with him. His response, "Sweetie, you turn pages intensely. You do everything intensely. When you type...CLACK CLACK CLACK. When you breathe..." I lay there, trying to decide if he was criticizing or teasing when he leaned over, kissed my shoulder and said, "I love you just the way you are. You live life to the fullest. Some of us have a hard time doing that," and went back to his book. Reassured that he was not criticizing, I smiled, and fell asleep. Today I am trying to type a little more quietly. Just to be considerate. It is harder than it sounds. Change, even small change, takes work. And time. And perhaps shorter fingernails.

No comments: