It's only recess, and I already have something to share today. Yeah!
I posted previously about my struggle with teaching reading and where I have travelled in that journey. Today I had a wonderful moment of sheer teacher-bliss.
I introduced the third of five literacy work stations to my students after our reading mini-lesson. Since the overhead doesn't have enough space for the whole class to practice at one we did a short rotation through the three stations that students have learned to use. Ten minutes at each station and a minute in between to tidy up and transition.
It was a-ma-zing! All my students were engaged for the whole time. I heard enthusiasm in voices. I had a student who can barely read trying his hand at cursive on the chalkboard, with infinite patience to work out the shapes of the letters. I actually sat at my desk on my hands! I was a silent observer to their practice of skills that they have been taught already and were working to master. Independently (oh sacred word of education!).
I feel like this is a huge moment of clarity for me. And I am so happy to have broken through the guided reading wall that has plagued me for the past while.
Now onward and upward to crafting small group experiences that rock their world!
PS: If you are interested in more info have a look at Practice with Purpose by Debbie Diller.
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment