I am wading through Mosaic of Thought by Ellin Oliver Keene and Susan Zimmerman. I am totally loving it. As I have been delving into the Net resources on guided reading and reading comprehension over the past several months, over and over again this book was referenced as a key starting place for teachers working to support their students in developing stronger comprehension. So I ordered it and have been plowing through. I think that this will be one of those books that gets reread and written all over.
The most exciting aspect of the book is that the research Keene and Zimmerman are sharing from classrooms all over the USA fits with what my gut has been prodding me about for the past year. So, I am wrestling with how this means I need to change my teaching so that my students are able to become stronger readers.
This is the trill of the chase in teaching... hunting strategies that work better for learning.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's an awesome book that requires a couple of reads to really "get" the message. The first edition changed the way I teach and the second edition confirmed that I was on the right track. If you ever get the chance to listen to her in person, jump at it! She is a great speaker!
Post a Comment