Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fortunately

The original children's book by Remy Charlip (cover pictured above) starts out,

"Fortunately, Ned was invited to a surprise party.
Unfortunately, the party was a thousand miles away.
Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.
Unfortunately, the motor exploded.
Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.
Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute."

Ned's adventures continue until he fortunately stumbles upon a party that happens to be a surprise party for Ned himself.

If you recall any of your own adolescence you will understand why a seventh grade teacher does not look forward to preparing a class for a performance of any kind. Most seventh graders abhor standing up on a stage in front of a bunch of people and performing in any way. Singing is absolutely out of the question, a play is a possibility, but opening and closing the curtains for other classes is much more in line with what most adolescents would choose as their participation in a Christmas Program.

So, as December began a little over a month ago, and LK was casting about for some inspiration for something for his class to do for their share of the concert he struck upon the idea of a Fortunately, Unfortunately story. This was a writing activity that he uses occasionally for a fun Friday shared writing session with his class. So they wrote a story about Santa that followed the theme of a Fortunately, Unfortunately story. They illustrated each sentence and LK took photos that he projected on Power Point while the class read their story to the audience. It was fabulous, creative and totally theirs. I have learned that this sort of thing is typical for my spouse, take a pretty good idea and make it into something personal, unique and perfectly-suited-to-the-occasion.

During the holiday he had a brainstorm - take the pictures that the students worked so hard on and assemble them into a book like primary teachers do with class books. I suggested that he put it into the school library for all students to sign out. That way his authors are published and have an audience for their work. So he did, and I signed it out yesterday to share with my class.


In my classroom this month we are working on a reading comprehension strategy called Asking Questions. Basically it is teaching students to ask questions before, during and after reading. We adult readers do this automatically (we wonder and think about what will happen, we go huh? when something doesn't connect). Children have to be taught to do this. So that is what we are working on in fourth grade this month.


This morning for shared reading I picked up Fortunately. We looked at the cover, asked some questions and then dove in. By the third page all of my students were listening carefully. They started asking questions by the sixth page. By the end they were on a roll with questioning and (this is the best) laughing out loud at the story. I LOVE THAT! It was a totally magical moment where my students, who usually have to be bribed to read, were engaged in enjoying a book together. But the very best came in writing workshop after I showed my class what the grade sevens had done with their story.


Instead of the topic I had planned on modelling for the class I grabbed a teachable moment and suggested that it might be fun to try our own Fortunately story. They were completely on board. So we wrote a story about an imaginary seventh grader who is chosen to carry the Olympic torch in Kenora, but runs into some trouble getting there. I was in heaven watching my students share ideas, listen to one another, take suggestions, make decisions, and craft a creative, interesting, believable story with no guns in it.


Now they want to make a book just like the grade sevens did. Have I mentioned that I have the best job in the world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like today was a great day! It put a smile on my face...
Karen

Zandbergs said...

What a great write up about a great event. I especially like how you slipped in the words "without guns". I hope there will be many more such wonderful days and teaching moments throughout the coming year.
Sue