The first Sunday of advent we pull out the decorations and set up our tree. It is a tradition in our family. This year Fiona has been talking about it for three days. Jo had no idea what was happening until the words "Christmas tree" were combined with seeing the tree out of its storage bag. Then he was over-the-moon and danced around the room.
This afternoon when we dug into the giant closet of storage and pulled out the decorations, we discovered that several strands of lights were toast and the tree that has limped through the last few years had its top broken off. We stuck it back together with electrical tape (no duct tape in the tool box). The tree is missing its topper ornament because the electrical tape won't support the weight of either of our toppers. We have promised ourselves that we will buy a new tree after Christmas when they are on sale.
Josiah and Fiona pulled all the ornaments out of the boxes and left them all over the living room floor while I tried to get all the branches spread and looking nice. Then they watched a DVD while I tried to get the lights looking nice.
Honestly, this is the least time I have ever spent arranging branches and lights. Usually I make sure that it is all balanced and that each branch has a neat wrapping of lights. The tree usually looks like it is sparking with stars when I am done. Not this year. It is pretty, but really looks like a family tree rather than a showpiece.
Evidence of yet more personal growth. And the kids had lots of fun putting the ornaments on it themselves. I only re-hung three after they were done..
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment