Saturday, November 14, 2009

Grey is a Mindset

The ability to lose myself in the pages of a good novel has always been a huge comfort when facing seasons of grey. November has turned a dark metallic grey. The temperatures have dropped to seasonal frostiness. Darkness falls as we start cooking supper and lifts as we sit at the breakfast table. The month doesn't have a spirit-lifting holiday. It is really too early to start anticipating Christmas. This week I have nothing to read.

Not the most cheerful perspective today, but that is how I feel.

I have been exploring ideas on the web about using journals in the classroom with students. Of course there is far more information out there than I want or need, and sorting through it is a time-consuming task for even the most focussed person. I have been on several rambling digressions on the Web today. I did read some interesting ideas about keeping a journal as an adult though.

One author/blogger suggested that a stream-of-consciousness kind of journal is very cleansing and helps clear the clouds from your head. He recommends it for when creativity is blocked. That got me thinking about the angst that can build up in my head. I can get so angry sometimes- never really angry about one thing. Usually it is a build-up a a whole bunch of little things that I don't address and my surface calm is finally ruffled with something small.

My usual coping strategy when I am really upset it to go all out on a project. Purging junk from closets of toy boxes is very effective. In desperate times even scrubbing dishes will do. I think that this is usually a way of wrestling with my issues.

I did some purging today. I feel somewhat better, but not really.

How do I get rid of the grey in my head?

1 comment:

Jodi.C said...

I'm having a grey time too. Take a look at my rantings from last week's blog.