I remember Sundays were one of my favourite days of the week as a kid. There were several reasons for that; we had a no homework on Sunday rule in our house (I loved that), it was the day we almost always had company over or were guests in someone else's home, and we sang at church.
Sunday has had the same appeal for me for most of my adult life for the same reasons (except the homework). I love the sweetness of fellowship, particularly when enriched by breaking bread together at the table. My favourite Sundays are those that have included a big meal with friends or family.
Worship for me is only worship when music is a large part of our conversation with God in his house. I love to sing and can easily get lost in bliss of the sound and the words that go so far beyond prayers and Scripture in reaching into my heart. Something about the combination of sound and text is deeper for me.
Yesterday we had a service that was a real Sabbath. I went to church feeling mopey and a bit sorry for myself - a pathetic way to start Sunday. We had a guest preaching, a 25-year old who spoke straight from his heart without mincing words. If you know me well, you know how much I appreciate someone who is brave enough to say it like they see it. Too few of us today are bold enough to speak our mind regardless of it's political correctness. It was a blast of fresh air. I spent most of his sermon thinking, "Amen brother!" to myself.
Then we ate together. We sat around tables at church and ate together. We have eaten together at church often before. Lunch is served every week and we try to stay as often as the numbers allow- we don't stay if there is a crowd, to make sure that there is food for everyone. Yesterday was the first time it felt like we were a part of things. If was wonderful.
I am so thankful when I start a day in a foul place and God flips me into a 180-degree turn in attitude. It makes it very clear to me that He is Lord of all joy! And he pours out joy in such generous measures.
The joy flowed over into today, and I hope it will trickle into my whole week, infecting everyone I come into contact with. Let it pour, Lord!
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment