We finished reading Frindle by Andrew Clements in read aloud at school today. This is a part of the day where the teacher read aloud to the students, and they just relax and listen. It has always been one of my favourite parts of the day- both as a student and as a teacher. Frindle is one of my very favourite books. If you haven't read it, go to the library and get it out. A wonderful story about discovering the power of one person and chasing an idea to see where it goes. I love ideas. I love words. I love stories. This book has it all. Plus, Andrew Clements has a gift to narrate from within the head of a fifth/six grader. His books all share the perspective of kids brilliantly.
It took a while for my class to 'get' the book this year. Every group of students has a different set of experiences and background knowledge (schema, we call it in education)- both individually and corporately. This group really are not focused on school. So a story that is largely set in school didn't really ring their bell.
However, today they were silent while I read the last chapter. I would like to think that it was my inspired rendition of the aha moment of the main character, but it wasn't. I think they were actually interested in what happened at the end.
The magic of storytelling strikes again!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is indeed a great book. It was one of the first that I bought for Leah and she needed a bit of convincing to try (why is literature like that, in comparison to junk reading that appears so glitzy?). Once she started she was hooked. It is still on her shelf - a sign of a keeper.
Sue
It's on my top 2 list. I have read it to every class I have taught for the past eight years.
Post a Comment