Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sand Brigade


Monday morning we woke up to above freezing temperatures and rain. Upon arriving at school there was a sing posted on the door, "No school." Great, a free work day. Think of all that I can get done in the classroom...

By ten o'clock our principal (Fearless) was walking around warning people to head home as it was raining harder. So I wrapped things up and headed home. Driving home I thought I should have stayed, it really wasn't that slippery.

However, by four o'clock I was thankful for Fearless as everything outside had a thick coat of very wet ice on it. We were snug at home.


Tuesday morning everyone was getting ready for school (picture 6 townhouses facing the lake and the driveway with front picture windows) and we heard Fearless driving up the lane. Our lane climbs a hill as you drive towards the road and then angles down to the road. Both inclines are steep enough that with wet ice Fearless didn't make it up our side. So we all stood in our windows and watch him back down to his own parking spot and tromp up the hill to check it out.


LK and I went out to see what was going on, and to help with whatever was needed. I was cheering for another school-free day in my head. Within 15 minutes all the teachers had left their coffee and toothbrushes to bring out wash buckets and various shovel-like instruments to help bring sand from the sand pile in front of our houses to sand the driveway. We looked like the seven dwarfs, but better dressed (in out teacher clothes). It took an hour of joking and laughter to lay sand right to the road. After that we were clear to go to work (at 9:30).


Meanwhile the phone were ringing off the hook at school. Parents wondering if there was school, how their kids were supposed to get there with the ice and no bus, etc. Fiona tried to answer the phone and ended up turning it on, but for got to say hello. Our poor Resource teacher was left talking to blank air.


By the time we arrived, Fearless had decided to send all the students home (20 or so actually made it to school) and we had another work day. This time I got a lot accomplished and wasn't worried about get back in at home as we had the best sanded driveway in all of Grassy.


If we ever lose our jobs as teachers, I am sure we can find work as a road crew.

No comments: