I have discovered the formal name and process for the tweaking that good teachers are always doing to improve their practice. Action Research. Basically the process is; (a) identify a problem, (b) make a plan to try to solve it, (c) decide on what factors will indicate a measure of success, and (d) write a report on your results. Well, most teachers do the first three steps all the time. Now I am learning to add the fourth step.
The AQ course that I am taking is filled with lots of valuable information that is completely relevant to my classroom right now. It's got me all fired about teaching practice and improving education. My evenings are mostly filled with reading, research, posting on the discussion board, responding to the posts of others, and more reading. The best thing about taking the course during the school year is that you can see the things you are studying right there before you. And, I can change my teaching to address those things! Very exciting.
However, today at lunch I was really discouraged about how much change and scaffolding is needed to really support my students to become literate and value their learning. Where even to begin?
But the beginning is past, and progress is happening.
I sat down at the end of the day and saw the difference in writing that those who struggle the most in my class demonstrated today. It was encouraging.
So, tomorrow we march on... actually Monday we march on. No school tomorrow due to a community funeral.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment