Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sewing Frenzy

It started when I was little with a love of Little House on the Prairie. There was a scene where Ma made Mary a new stylish dress to go off to college and the dress was described in such specific detail.  I retread that description hundreds of times imagining the dress in my head.  It was fed by Jane Austen and far too much historical fiction with detailed description of gowns.

College didn't help with a four year stint as the Costume Room Coordinator and unhindered access to the entire costume department.  I used to go to class in jeans and tails or jeans and a French Revolution era bodice.  Once I even tried the full Victorian garb to see what it was really like to wear a corset for a day.  Uncomfortable, if you want to know.  But also elegant in a curious way.

I have a passion for historical fashion (as well as contemporary fashion).

For the years I taught in Christian schools it was fed in little drips and drabs with book character dress up days.  And now, it has been plumped into what some may see as obsession with the gleeful celebration of Halloween at my current school.

My kids may be happiest with store bought costumes, but not me.  This year I am revelling in creativity and personal expression.  I am indulging my inner historical diva.   I am creating the most awesome steam punk princess ever.  And I am having so much fun doing it.

I have had an entire education thanks to YouTube and Pinterest and google.  My sewing machine has been very busy on weekends.  I have learned through trial and error and many fittings with the Sprouts giving their two cents.   Last night I experimented with historical hairstyles and tomorrow night its make up time.  

I wonder what I can sew from my living room curtains?

No comments: