Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Extra-Curricular

Since moving to a school where the  arts are not really big I have been trying my hand at a variety of different extra-curricular activities.  For the first ten years of my career it was all arts all the time.  That was my strength.  In the past four years I have had to try other avenues to support students outside thenc classroom.  From these I learned that cross country skiing is fun with all ages.  I am not any kind of soccer coach even though I love to play with kids.  And I love to encourage and support colleagues through mentoring new teachers.

A new year means new opportunities for challenge and growth.  So I am trying yet another way to meet my required hours for extra-curricular activities.

This year I am participating in Pow-Wow Club.  The goal is to support student in learning about traditional cultural celebrations of the pow-wow through designing and creating regalia, learning traditional dancing, drumming, and beading.  Now I don't have any of the traditional knowledge, but I can operate a sewing machine, and understanding clothing design and construction well.

Fi is also participating.

Tonight was our first gathering.  We had a cafeteria full of girls (and one brave young man) sketching and measuring and giggling over shared ideas.  It was absolutely lovely.

It was also lovely to stretch a little more in seeing students through fresh eyes.

No comments: