LK and I take turns doing tuck-in with the kids. One night I read to Jo and he tucks Fi in, and the next night we switch. Tonight was my turn to read to Jo.
After the requisite teeth brushing and face washing Jo was snug in his bed with me curled up beside him. We opened the chosen story for tonight, which happened to be from a silly series of Lego books. These are full of silly puns that LK and Jo find great humour in. Jo loves to discuss the story lines and how they relate to the "real" adventures of his own Lego characters.
After I read the first page Jo turned and said, "Can I read the words now?"
Be still my beating heart! My boy wants to read to me. Happy Mama!
And he did.
I bit my tongue instead of jumping in to give him words when he got stuck. It was quite wonderful to see him look at pictures and think about what was happening and use letters and sounds he knows to figure out words that make sense in the story. I was amazed at the way he used so many clues to solve the riddles of reading. If I had jumped in when I wanted to he would have been able to accomplish so much less.
I need to remember to sit back and let my kids do more. They don't need nearly as much help as I think they do.
And this miracle that is a child learning to read never fails to astound me.
Monday, October 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment