Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Counting Sleeps

Jo is counting sleeps until his class field trip.  They are going to the fire station in town, glow-in-the-dark bowling, and for dinner at Mickey D's.  What a brave teacher to take a bunch of four- and five-year olds bowling!  He fell asleep after calling down to me several times tonight, "My teacher says I need to wear white tomorrow.  My teacher says I need to have a bath or shower before tomorrow."  LK is going on with his first field trip as a parent chaperone.

Fi is counting sleeps until her mother isn't her teacher any longer.  She has done great, but having so much overlap in our relationship has put a strain on her this last couple of weeks.  I am glad we had this year together as I got to know her at an entirely new level.  And I appreciate her incredible, amazing intelligence so much more.  But we are not going to do this again.  Once is enough.

LK is counting sleeps until he gets to start his summer adventure.  Although he did mention in passing earlier this week that he might send us on vacation without him and just stay home for a month of peace and quiet.  He is depleted and needs to refill his energy with lots of quiet and picture-taking.  I hope that we can convince him that we will not chatter endlessly for the entire trip (wait, what am I thinking?).  Well, I hope he comes anyway.

I am counting sleeps until school is done.  It has been a very busy, challenging year in both my personal and professional lives.  I am ready for a rest.  I am ready for no report cards or lesson plans.  No mentoring chats.  No hunting for materials or resources.  Just light summer reading, lots of time in the sunshine, playing with my kids, running for sheer joy, and a trip that takes us away from daily life.  I am ready for vacationland.

How many more sleeps?

No comments: