Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday, Cranky Sunday

"This was the worst Sunday EVER," was LK's summary of the day.  He was right.

Jo was up several times during the night afraid and needing comfort.  That is my job as LK gets up with him in the morning.  And then, as usual, he was also up at the crack of dawn.  Usually he goes downstairs and LK makes him breakfast and I never hear a thing. I am completely pampered, I know.  Anyway, this morning he didn't go downstairs.  Instead he snuggled up with me. Not to sleep, mind you.  Really he wanted to tell me stories, play with his cars, and generally BE AWAKE.  That was not at all what I wanted to be doing.  I was tired.  And cranky. 

Well, I had a list longer than my arm of stuff that needed to get done in order for the week to go smoothly (this last week of school in insane with field trips and report cards and packing up classrooms and...).  It just was not to be.  Right after breakfast, and BEFORE MY CUP OF TEA the power went off.

And stayed off.  All day.

And we stood in the living room window and watched the heavens open and deluge us with more rain that we have seen all spring.  It may even have been more precipitation than we had all winter.  The road was a river.  Jo was aching to go out in it.  But not until the lightning stopped.

So we were all cooped up in the house.  And there was no power.  So no tea.

And LK and I have report cards due tomorrow which needed a few thing finished.  And there was not enough laptop batteries charged to get them done.  Or enough quiet.  And mine are very handily stored in my Dropbox in the big filing cabinet in the sky (Web).  So without power I couldn't access them anyway.

We don't do particularly well with forced inactivity.  Chosen inactivity is another matter entirely.  But when there is a list not being able to get things on it done makes me a bit crazy.

And there was a lot of sibling bickering happening.  We would have about 20 minutes of reasonably peaceful play and then it would sound like a war had erupted upstairs.  Toys were thrown, voices were raised in screaming (not by me).  My usually wonderful children had been driven mad by spring cabin fever. 

But then the rain stopped for a short while and they went outside.  And the house was quiet for a short little while.  And they ended up at Nana and Pop's house for an hour.  And we pulled our cranky selves together.

After a dinner of peanut butter and grape jelly, the Sprouts went happily enough to bed.  And we watched the clock tick away our time to get the work done before our own bedtime loomed.

The power came on at 8:45 and all four of us are still in one piece.  And we even stayed up later to get the reports done.  They might have a few typos that I hope our admin will catch, but my eyes are crossed with tiredness.  I need to go to bed.

And heaven help anyone who wakes me before 7:00 tomorrow morning.

No comments: