Yard duty has not always been my favourite part of teaching. When the weather is nasty and cold, or I have a To Do list as long as my arm I bemoan it. But today it was a wonderful lift.
First, my teaching day was pretty much done. I had my prep at the end of the day, which meant that after recess all I had to do was walk students down to their Native Language class. That took the pressure to urgently accomplish anything off.
Second, the day turned out to be sunny and warm. Well, warm for January in northwestern Ontario. I bundled up before going outside, expecting to be chilled even though I was wearing my puffer coat, a hat, scarf and gloves. This morning was chilly! Instead I stepped outside to sunshine that warmed my face and blue skies. Since blue skies have been scare this past two weeks, it was a sight for sore eyes.
But the icing on the cake was a little boy all dressed in a blue snowsuit who has just moved from JK to SK. The JK students are only allowed to play in the front playground with very careful supervision. The SK students have more freedom to move around the whole elementary schoolyard. This little guy was spreading his wings for the first time today. When he saw me on duty he smiled a very special smile (reserved only for his Mama) and ran full-tilt at me. I caught him and swung him around in a great big hug. Then he wandered off to play with his new SK classmates.
What a treat to be able to watch my own kids play with their peers as they grow up. Plus I made some new SK friends myself today who were most curious about my relationship with their new classmate.
"Are you Jo's mommy?" they queried repeatedly.
"Yes I am," I replied, proud as punch.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment