Sunday, January 22, 2012

Missing Papa

As we left the airport today Jo piped up from the back seat, "Are we leaving Papa at the airport?"

"Yes, sweetie.  He is flying on a plane to be with Oma and Opa for Grandma D's funeral."

"Oh."

Ten minutes later we were in the middle of the city and I was stressing about the check engine light that came on as we left the airport.  And I missed my turn-off and wasn't quite sure if I was heading in the right direction (having no co-pilot to read the map).

"I want to go with Papa." said a sad little voice from the backseat.

"I do too." was all I could say.

Halfway home we were all doing okay, I thought.  No breakdowns - either the car or in tears.

With a hitch in his voice and tears welling up, "I miss Papa."

"Me too, sweetie.  Me too."

We arrived safely home, unloaded the car, loaded the washing machine and started to unwind.

"I miss Papa!" was sobbed from upstairs as Jo tried to clean up his toys before supper.

I have new appreciation for my life.  I get to spend every day with my partner and best friend.  We commute to work together, support each other as colleagues, and have rich time every morning and evening as a family.  We actually get to eat two whole meals a day together as a family, every day!

I am so grateful.  We are very rich indeed.

1 comment:

LPK said...

Enormous, super-gigantic hugs from Papa. I miss you, too! See you on Thursday.